Vestdavit davits installed on warships and passenger vessels
Feb. 27, 2018
Vestdavit AS, Bergen, Norway, builds davits for launching and retrieving boats from a range of different vessels, with an emphasis on safety and efficiency. Davits are designed to safely launch and retrieve boats in inclement weather and to widen the operational window.
The company is currently trying to expand its presence in the market. A subsidiary, Vestdavit Inc., opened in September in the Seattle area to support its growing customer base in the United States. Part of this effort included a booth at International Work Boat Show last december.
“Right now we’re around 80 percent military and 20 percent commercial,” said Magnus Oding, Vestdavit’s managing director, from the auditorium. “We are looking to develop both sectors of the market.
Typical davit applications for the company involve offshore support – including offshore wind turbines – warships, seismic support vessels, crew transfer boats, tugs, small ferries and others. work boats. “We manufacture and market davits – and davits only,” Oding said.
He said the davits work even under the most difficult conditions. “The Arctic is a place where we see more and more activity,” Oding said. Vestdavit uses specially developed and environmentally friendly hydraulic oils to ensure that no leaks will cause damage to the environment while operating properly in extremely low temperatures, he added.
Some recent davit placements on U.S. ships include:
- Nichols Brothers Boat builders, Whidbey Island, Washington, delivered the 238’6 “x48’x9’6”, 100-passenger vessel last year National Geographic Quest for Lindblad Expeditions Holdings Inc. Vestdavit delivered two TSB-2500 lifeboat davits which are installed aft of the vessel. Telescopic type suspended davits are designed to be as compact as possible. Sister, national Geographic company, is expected to enter service in the second quarter of 2018. Lindblad specializes in “expedition travel”. The new ships have 50 cabins, 22 of which have balconies, and state-of-the-art shipping technology.
- PLR-3600 MOB boat davits for all Navy CVN class aircraft carriers.
- Eight HN-9000 double point work boat davits for National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) research vessels. NOAA’s most recent project was the installation of two HN-9000 workboat davits on the NOAA vessel. Thomas jefferson in July 2017. These are the most advanced motion compensated dual point davits on the market and they will launch and retrieve hydrographic survey launchers on the vessel, Oding said.
- PLA-2000 lifeboat davits are being modernized on the nine Coast Guard Bay class icebreaker tugs. Davits are aluminum to minimize weight.
- Fully electric TDBE-2000 overhead telescopic davit custom designed for LCS Freedom class ships in the Navy.
In a follow-up interview this week, Oding said Vestdavit had US customers who successfully operated the company’s most advanced davits down to the state of the sea 7. absorbers, constant tension and anti-pendulum devices. “, did he declare.